The Nano WiReach SMT from Connect One is a 0.8” x 1.45” (2.0 x 3.7 centimeter) WiFi module offering 3G routing, WiFi client, and access-point capabilities. The module offers multiple hardware interfaces and extensive firmware functionality for up to eight WiFi users in its router or access point mode. Nano WiReach SMT has a full suite of Internet protocols and applications, and powers immediate, full–featured connectivity for embedded solutions without any WiFi driver development or porting.
The module can also serve as an independent WiFi access point where WiFi
infrastructure does not exist. With the module acting as a WiFi access point, customers can connect to their deployed, in-field product via standard WiFi devices, such as iPhones, iPads and other mobile phones and devices, to control or manage their product.
To ensure complete security, Nano WiReach SMT offers a highly advanced
level of Internet security. The module comes complete with the latest WiFi encryption algorithms (WPA/WPA2, in both PSK and Enterprise modes) as well as Internet SSL communication and encryption algorithms. Because it serves as a router to the customer product, it acts as an inherent firewall, protecting the embedded application from attacks originating from the Internet.
To maximize design-in flexibility, Nano WiReach SMT offers firmware support of several modes of operation:
* Embedded Router—LAN or WiFi clients gain a single cellular WAN connection to the Internet (3G router) or routing between LAN and WiFi networks
* Embedded Access Point—Devices containing WiFi can connect to the product’s embedded access point to control or manage processes
* LAN to WiFi Bridge—Transparent bridging of LAN over WiFi enables direct RMII connection to existing MAC hardware. Any microcontroller with a built-in Ethernet MAC can be connected to WiFi with zero development effort
* Serial to LAN/WiFi Bridge — Transparent bridging of serial data over LAN or WiFi is boosted by the module’s speedy 3-Mbps UART
* Full Internet Controller mode—Simple microcontrollers can use Nano WiReach SMT’s rich protocol and application capabilities to perform complex Internet operations, such as e-mail, FTP, SSL, embedded Web server and others. Internet controller mode can be used with any hardware interface
* PPP emulation—Existing (e.g., cellular modem) designs currently using PPP to interface to the cellular modem can connect transparently over WiFi with no changes to application or drivers
Nano WiReach SMT includes RMII, USB, SPI and fast UART interfaces for
easy integration into existing or new designs. It is available in two versions: one with an antenna connector and one with a built-in antenna.
The module supports 10 simultaneous TCP/UDP sockets; two listening TCP
sockets; SMTP, MIME, POP3, FTP, Telnet, and HTTP/HTTPS clients; and an
HTTP/HTTPS embedded Web server with a Web site for the host application
and one for configuring the module. Nano WiReach SMT supports 64-/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2 (PSK and Enterprise), AES-128/256, SHA-128/192/256, and 3DES encryption; and the SSL3/TLS1 protocol for a secure client socket session and a secure FTP session.
The module operates at an extended temperature range of -10° to 65°C (14° to 149°F) and is RoHS-compliant.
Availability and Evaluation Board
Nano WiReach SMT is available now at $26 for high-volume projects. The
II-EVB-365 evaluation board, priced at $160, provides an easy environment for developing applications and testing Nano WiReach SMT. Visit Nano WiReach SMT for more information.