Qualcomm leads smartphone processor market
(Monday, January 16, 2012)
The dynamic smartphone applications processor market share rankings continue to reflect on-going changes in the smartphone manufacturer landscape. Qualcomm has captured an extraordinary 50 per cent revenue share of the smartphone applications processor market.
Some of the highlights of Strategy Analytics' Handset Component Technologies service report, include:
- Qualcomm, Samsung, Texas Instruments, Marvell and Broadcom grabbed the top-five smartphone applications processor revenue share rankings in 2011.
- For the first time, on an annual basis, Qualcomm led the smartphone applications processor market in unit terms in 2011, snatching the long-held crown from Texas Instruments. In revenue terms, Qualcomm continues to lead and finished 2011 with approx. 50 percent revenue share.
- Broadcom stormed into the top-five rankings in 2011 for the first time, thanks to its high-volume Android design-wins. Broadcom’s applications processor shipments showed over 500 percent year-on-year growth in 2011.
- New entrant NVIDIA performed well in its first year in smartphones and finished as the number six player in both unit terms and revenue terms in 2011. Despite its first mover advantage with dual-core processors, NVIDIA lost momentum in the second half of 2011.
- Stand-alone applications processors accounted for 40 percent of total smartphone applications processor revenues in 2011 and out-grew baseband-integrated applications processors, thanks to Apple, Samsung, Texas Instruments, NVIDIA and Qualcomm.
During 2011, Qualcomm strongly benefited from its broad Snapdragon processor portfolio, strong presence in multiple software ecosystems and excellent relationships with almost all top-tier smartphone vendors...the Android ecosystem continues to be a big growth driver for Qualcomm and enabled it to capture approximately 50 percent revenue share in the overall smartphone applications processor market in 2011.
- Sravan Kundojjala is Senior Analyst, Strategy Analytics, which is into Data Analyses, Business Solutions and Custom Research. He can be reached at email@example.com