An example cited of the flexibility and customization LPC1200 provides is in an advanced washing machine where it can control the motor systems, handle the user interface, monitor system power consumption, and manage off-board communications in a simple, integrated and energy-efficient solution.
Its high current GPIO can directly control TRIACs without the need for external transistors, further reducing footprint and costs.Indesit Company, a manufacturer of energy efficient smart appliances, has worked with NXP in defining specifications for the LPC1200.
In energy-efficient smart appliance designs, the CPU will not only have to manage the user interface and control, but will also increasingly be required to drive multiple motor systems, as well as continuously measure current and voltage to calculate active power with high accuracy.
The LPC1200 platform can provide application-specific solutions (ASSP) for a range of industrial control
requirements, through flexible interconnections between the interrupt controller, DMA sub system, on-chip peripherals and GPIO. By recognizing external and internal events and carrying out pre-defined tasks without CPU intervention, the CPU load is dramatically reduced, allowing the CPU to remain in power down longer.
The NXP LPC1200 offers over 50 flash and SRAM memory combinations and the small 512 Byte erase sector of the flash memory brings design benefits, such as finer EEPROM emulation, boot-load supports from
any serial interface, and ease of in-field programming with reduced on-chip RAM
NXP’s SRAM architecture allows the LPC1200 to minimize power by automatically setting each of the 2KB low-power blocks into its lowest possible power mode.
The LPC1200 is rated as high immunity, based on the Electrical Fast Transient (EFT) test conducted by Langer
EMV-Technik GmbH per IEC61697-1 recommendations. Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) protection is rated at 8kV.
Peripherals for industrial control include:
- - Windowed watchdog timer with an independent internal oscillator source, designed to comply with IEC
- 60730 Class B safety requirements for white goods
- - Programmable Digital Filter on all GPIO pins allowing better control of signal integrity for
- industrial applications
- - I2C with Fast-mode Plus feature with 10x higher bus-drive capability compared to typical I2C I/O drives, allowing for twice as many devices on the same bus, as well as longer transmission distances
- - Optimized ROM-based divide library for Cortex-M0 offering several times the arithmetic performance of software-based libraries, as well as a highly deterministic cycle time combined with reduced Flash code size
- - Dual analog comparators with 32 levels of voltage reference, edge and level detection and
- output feedback loop supporting multiple states, such as monostable, astable or simple set/reset.
The LPC1200 extends NXP’s Cortex-M0 microcontrollers portfolio with up to 55 GPIOs, multiple timers/serial channels, and new onboard peripherals including RTC, DMA, CRC and 1 percent internal oscillator, which provides the required accuracy for Baud rate generation. Upcoming LPC1200 derivatives will also include additional features, such as an integrated 40x4 segment display driver.
The LPC1200 Industrial Control series is available now in six initial flash sizes including 32, 48, 64, 80, 96 and 128 KB in both 48LQFP and 64LQFP packages. Devices in the same footprint share exactly the same peripheral sets and are fully pin-compatible. The integrated segment display driver option will become available in LQFP100 package in the second quarter of 2011.