Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) has introduced its latest ZigBee RF4CE remote control solution with support for the upcoming ZigBee Input Device (ZID) profile, that enables mouse-like pointing functionality, keyboard and gesture- and touch-based input controls for consumer electronics such as TVs, set-top boxes and game consoles.
TI’s ZigBee RF4CE solution includes the royalty-free RemoTI 1.3 protocol stack with sample application software, an ETSI-compliant and FCC-certified nano USB module, and an associated Advanced Remote Control development kit.
Together with TI’s CC253x 802.15.4 RF-IC radios, the new ZigBee RF4CE solution allows manufacturers to quickly deliver advanced remote control devices. The CC253x offers pin-to-pin compatibility with TI’s Bluetooth low energy CC254x system-on-chips (SoC), enabling future-proofed designs that easily implement both standards.
“With TI’s ZigBee RF4CE ZID profile based solution, manufacturers can quickly deliver remote control devices for more intuitive and enjoyable remote control user experiences... TI’s remote control solutions are deployed today by market-leading customers, partners and third parties, putting leading-edge capabilities in consumers’ hands,” said Oyvind Birkenes, general manager, low-power RF, TI.
TI’s ZigBee RF4CE remote control solutions: Key features and benefits
ZigBee RF4CE RemoTI 1.3 protocol stack with ZID profile-support, together with the advanced remote development kit, drives quick prototyping and development of next-generation remote control devices:
• Non-line-of-sight operation and two-way wireless communications
• Pointing mouse functionality: Reference design with six-axis motion sensing
• Motion and gesture control functionality: RemoTI 1.3 and advanced remote kit include support for Movea SmartMotion® firmware
• Complete set of sample applications for target and controller nodes
• PC-based tools for development and test
• Pin-to-pin compatibility with TI’s Bluetooth low energy CC254x SoC
Easy addition of ZigBee RF4CE ZID capabilities to devices with USB ports with production-ready CC2531 nano USB module and reference design:
• ETSI-compliant and FCC-certified
• Very small size: Only 9.5 mm x 16.6 mm
Enables single-chip remote controls to be built with low power, high reliability and low cost:
• Co-existence with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth technology and other 2.4 GHz devices
• Proven CC253x family of 802.15.4 RF-IC radios
For more information visit www.ti.com/rf4ce-pr.