Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) touts their new TRF7970A contactless near field communication transceiver (NFC) as being the lowest power NFC in the industry. Designed for infrastructure devices, the TRF7970A provides eight selectable power modes ranging from <1 µA in power-down mode to 120 mA in full-power mode, extending battery life up to twice as long.
The TRF7970A comes with easy-to-configure software to help developers get started quickly. Royalty-free stacks are compatible across a broad range of ultra-low-power MSP microcontrollers. Developers are able to directly access all control registers, allowing for easy fine-tuning of various parameters for the highest performance in every application.
The TRF7970A supports peer-to-peer communication and card emulation in
addition to reader/writer capability, while maintaining pin-for-pin compatibility with the TRF7960. NFC devices can configure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology sessions between devices without consumer interaction; share and interact with feature- and content- rich data such as coupons at point of sale; and allow consumer devices to easily exchange files and contacts.
Summary of features:
* Industry’s lowest power NFC device supporting up to 2 times longer battery life with eight selectable power modes (Power modes range from <1 µA to 120 mA)
* Supports a wide range of communication options with peer-to-peer communication, reader/writer capability and card emulation.
* Supports two crystal oscillator frequencies: 13.56MHz or 27.12MHz frequencies give engineers more flexibility in speed and cost options for their designs
* Large 128 byte FIFO buffer for NFC communications allows developers using microcontrollers with low MHz to create products capable of handling large data transfers
* Compliance with ISO/IEC 18092 and ISO/IEC 21481 standards gives developers the ability to create globally interoperable products
* NFC software stack libraries and an innovative RF field detector allow for easy development efforts and robust, cost effective designs
* NFC Peer-to-Peer Initiator as well as Active and Passive Target Operation are available for MSP430 microcontrollers
* Supports multiple reader/writer protocols and includes demo software stacks for reader/writer mode ISO/IEC 15693, ISO/IEC 18000-3, ISO/IEC 14443A/B and FeliCa
For more information, go to ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/trf7970aevm.html.
Pricing and availabilityTI’s new TRF7970A NFC development kit is immediately available for order at www.ti.com/nfc-pr-es and priced at USD $99.